Friday, November 2, 2012

Trip to Asheville

The day after we left, Superstorm Sandy hit and brought a whole bunch of snow to the mountains!! So our trip was very well-timed.

We ate at Rosetta's, Green Sage, Homegrown, Edna's... and we went hiking. Good food and the great outdoors is what Asheville is all about!! I also went to their giant Goodwill store and bought some stuff for mine and Luca's Halloween costumes. We went to HalloweEno together in Durham so we needed costumes!

Luca got sick halfway through the vacation, spiking a fever of 103.5 and refusing to nurse. He didn't nurse until 6 days later. The only clue we have is a couple white dots on his lower lip, which might mean he caught the herpes virus. Either that, or the molar that was coming in was bothering him so much, he didn't want to nurse. I felt pretty terrible because I was worried about my baby, and also terrible because of the hormone drop from a sudden lack of nursing. I was EXTREMELY engorged almost the whole time, which was very painful. Pumping brought little relief. When he woke up at night to nurse, but couldn't, I would give him a sippy cup of water and then daddy would walk him back and forth until he fell back asleep. But he would fall asleep initially at nighttime and naps without any effort of nursing, so that was nice. A few times he insisted on using my bare breast as a pillow... poor sweet baby, missed his nursies!! At the end of that week I actually got excited at the thought of him potentially weaning. Because of the D-MER, I have never got to enjoy nursing, and only stuck with it for his sake. But I'm glad he's back on it... my goal is still 2 years.

Luca also learned how to frown intentionally on this trip. So cute.

luca frown

luca land

luca and I aunt alyssas apartment

luca mural

luca land

luca cow

One of our managers, Amy, took this photo of the Elmo's staff dressed up for Halloween!

Halloween at Elmo's Diner

3 comments:

  1. I didn't realize the nursing hiatus happened on vacation - how miserable for everyone involved!!! :( Sorry about that. And the frown is too cute. Is it totally wrong of me that I sort of find crying/sad babies absolutely adorable??? (It's better than wanting to kill them, I guess!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a little guilty, but I giggled every time!! So cute.

      Delete
    2. Glad I'm not the only one. ;) Screaming babies are no fun (and not all that cute), but when they get those big fat tears and pathetic look on their face, it's just darling! It's probably a self-preservation thing. ;)

      Delete