Sunday, April 28, 2013

Festival of Legends

Photo Apr 28, 12 26 16 PM

Today we went to Chapel Hill together, just me and Luca, for the 2nd annual Festival of Legends.
It was so much fun, and nearly every person was in costume. Steampunk, pirates, faeries, renaissance, medieval, sci-fi/fantasy, full body leather armor... you name it, there was a group of folks in costume for it. And the goods!! The art, the costumes... a lot of it surprisingly affordable. I got a cloak with a hood for $60 , a mini cape (more awesome than a cardigan for evening wear, and only $15), a waist-cincher for only $10, and a wooden sword and shield for Luca (for only $15)...


 I have a rule about non-essential purchases. Put it on a list for at least a month, and if you still want it, start searching for the best deal. The items I bought today were all on my list for several months if not years.

Photo Apr 28, 7 05 41 PM

Photo Apr 28, 6 56 34 PM
3/4 length cape with hood (it's navy with green accents)

Photo Apr 28, 6 54 58 PM
waist corset and mini cape (black with red accents)

 I only had one impulse buy... a leather necklace from Ribbons and Rivets. One of the artists was an old co-worker of mine, from back when I was a sophomore  in college. I was just so impressed and inspired by the fact that she was making a living doing what she loved, and doing it so well... I had to buy something to show my support. And now I have a beautiful necklace!


Photo Apr 28, 7 07 05 PM

Here are some pics from the festival:


Photo Apr 28, 2 51 04 PM
This man gave Luca a "gold" coin!
Photo Apr 28, 2 40 16 PM
Belly dancing with fire.

Photo Apr 28, 11 52 26 AM
Eating a sandwich in the mini cape.

Photo Apr 28, 2 25 15 PM
Vaudeville performers.

Photo Apr 28, 1 25 14 PM
King Arthur and the Black Knight... the jousting wasn't faked or anything!

Photo Apr 28, 1 12 38 PM
The singing Sphinx.

Photo Apr 28, 1 12 15 PM
Elf?

Photo Apr 28, 1 12 04 PM
Teaching kids how to sword fight.

Photo Apr 28, 1 11 42 PM
Is that a walking mushroom?

Photo Apr 28, 1 11 36 PM
It's Luca!

Photo Apr 28, 1 07 30 PM
Of course, the one shot with me in it, and my baby's head is covering up my elaborate eye makeup.

Photo Apr 28, 1 03 37 PM
Luca and one of the Nickel Shakespeare Girls taking refuge from the rain.

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I would totally go with you if I still lived there. And for the record, the picture of you and Luca - he looks like a little hobbit! He has hobbit ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, no nerd gear required!

      Speaking of nerd gear, look at THESE! http://www.etsy.com/listing/75285861/custom-copper-elf-ears

      Delete