Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Toddler eating habits

It's a common issue parents love griping to each other about. "My kid barely eats anything!" "He won't touch a vegetable." "It takes him FOREVER to finish his meal."

 When I was pregnant I read a few studies on toddler nutrition, and learned that 1) over the course of a week, given the choice to eat what they want to eat, toddlers choose a balanced diet and 2) toddlers need to try a food up to 20 times before deciding if they like it or not.

 If your house isn't full of junk, then let your kid eat what they want. Junk is processed food that comes in packages. If it comes straight from an animal or straight from the ground (minimal processing is ok... fresh bread, dark chocolate, etc) then it's food: relax, mamas! I make sure to offer often, unless I leave food out for him in plain sight to ask for or to get for himself. He doesn't whine for goldfish instead of his sandwhich, because he knows we don't have any goldfish. Don't buy things you don't want your kids to whine for!

 Kids don't like vegetables because they don't have much to offer a toddler. Not much fat or protein which they need to grow, and not much carbs which they need for all that brain and body activity. SCREW BROCCOLI, give them BUTTER! They can get fiber from things that also give them energy, like whole grains or raisins.

 Yesterday Luca would only eat fatty foods... eggs, bacon, salmon, cheese. The day before that he ate nothing but bread and fruit. The day before that, he ate nothing but jerky and cashews and chocolate chips and he acted like salmon and bacon were the worst foods in the world! He used to eat beans every day but now he won't touch them. I'm sure he will like them again later, so I will keep gently offering him all kind of things without judging what he "likes" and "dislikes".

 I will never force my child to finish the food on his plate, as that teaches kids how to force-feed themselves instead of stopping when they're full. I will never force him to eat a certain kind of food over another, as that would cause him to loose his awareness of his own unique daily needs. If he's eating too many cookies, it's because I'm buying too many cookies. I would never bring something into my home that was dangerous or unhealthy for him to eat large amounts of, or that would turn into a battle or a bargaining tool.

And speaking of which, I will never use food as a reward or punishment. Food is nourishment, an enjoyable family and personal activity, and a sacred ritual of self-care.

 I can't tell you how many parents come into the restaurant I work at and give their kids SWEET TEA. Or say things like "no dessert until you finish your chocolate chip pancake". Then again, these things mirror their own eating habits. If you want your kids to eat well, SHOW THEM HOW. That's the only way they can learn.

 He still nurses many times per day... a 2 year old can get a good 20-40% of important nutrients if they feed just a few times per day, because the milk is so nutritionally dense by that time. I DESPISE nursing because of D-MER, but I continue to do it for him. Not many moms have that option, so I'm not going to abuse the privilege by giving up yet.

 He has always been super thin but I've refused to know his percentile. The last time I accidentally saw it, it was 10-15%. I have heard so many parents panic about a number like that... but until he is off the chart, the number doesn't matter. He's within the range of normal and his personal curve is upward. He acts energetic.

 And he's learning new things every day with ease... he knows all the primary and secondary colors, he can count to 2 (well, he can count to 10 but he only understands the concept of "1" and "2"), and he understands that bees make honey, chickens make eggs, and mommy and daddy made Luca :) Grow vegetables also make a seamless connection from world to dinner plate.... though he still won't eat anything leafy :) That's just fine with me.

2 comments:

  1. YES, YES, YES! I love this post. I especially agree with not keeping on hand things you don't want your kids to eat. Growing up, we never had chips/candy/soda/etc. - it just wasn't an option. Of course at a certain age we would whine about that, but it made it so that our only options were a healthy diet. ;) I am SO glad for that! And oh my word - no dessert til you finish your chocolate chip pancakes??? I think I'd be tempted to spill the sweet tea all over those parents!

    A few months ago Mahon and I read something about the French culture of introducing food to kids - because cuisine is such an important part of French culture, parents feel like it's very important to raise children with a wide palette and enjoyment of food. Interestingly enough, though, the typical tactic there is to a) introduce a rejected food MANY more times than American parents do (typically only about 3 times), and b) to require that their kids taste the food when it's on their plate, but only one bite - not "you have to eat all of your broccoli before dessert." That way the kids are exposed to the new foods many times, but it doesn't become an epic "just take three more bites! come on!" meltdown.

    And ABSOLUTELY on not using food as a reward or punishment. I feel like so much of what is wrong with our American food culture has to do with the fact that we view food as a reward or a punishment, not as a source of vital nutrition and energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly! It drives me crazy the way that we approach food in this country...I wasn't allowed to drink soda as a child, and honestly it still shocks me when I see kids drinking a ton of sugar water. Don't want the temper tantrum over juice? Don't buy juice! He will eat what he wants and what he likes. I'm sure what he wants/likes changes day to day!

    ReplyDelete