Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mei Tai completed!

I MADE A MEI TAI!! This is one of the oldest designs in baby wearing technology (thousands and thousands of years old). The pattern comes from Sew Liberated, of Durham, NC!!

Back:
I made a Mei Tai baby carrier!!

Side:
I made a Mei Tai baby carrier!!

Front:
I made a Mei Tai baby carrier!!

The square of different fabric on the front is a pocket. You can either stick stuff in it (hankies, a cloth diaper, a slim cell phone) or roll up the whole wrap inside of itself and stick it in your diaper bag. That fabric piece was in a bag of scraps I found at my great-aunt's house years ago... that was all that was left of it and it fit the pattern piece perfectly. I had been saving it for something special! The brown and green were also just fabric I had lying around. This is definitely the best thing I have made so far... I actually tried to sew carefully, I actually pressed the seams and topstitched (I always skip those steps because I'm lazy), and I even changed the top thread AND BOBBIN color to match each part. It took all day today.

5 comments:

  1. that front piece is so precious!! it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! Where are you getting your carrier patterns? Could you e-mail me the links? I love the mei tai for its lower back support. I will definitely need to make one when it's my turn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you're right I forgot to put the link in...

    http://www.sewliberated.com/patterns.html

    The other carrier I made is also known for taking the weight off the shoulders.

    http://www.mamaroobabysling.com./newsite/Sewing%20Directions.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I will have to bookmark both of those. I definitely need distributed weight, since my back and shoulders are bad fibromyalgia spots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At my babywearing class, the woman talking about the carriers said that the Ergo and the Becco were like enhanced mei teis, with even more of the weight put on the hips.

    ReplyDelete