Tuesday, September 13, 2011

5 weeks old

There was nothing in the world more stressful than sitting in the dentist's chair yesterday, getting a filling, and wondering if my baby was ok. Daddy is awesome but he ain't got the milk!! I'm glad I haven't tried to use my hour-long massage gift certificate yet, I would just waste the whole massage with my separation anxiety!

(And for those of you wondering, I'd rather not pump and bottle feed him just yet, he has enough of a gassy tummy without bottle feeding on top of it all! Plus he's still too young, he could get nipple confusion.)

5 weeks

I feel like he is hitting some developmental milestones today... a couple times when a new person walked in the room and started talking... he turned his head! And he also looks at your face a lot longer when you're talking to him. He was also awake and happy for almost an hour this afternoon. I have never seen him awake that long when he wasn't nursing. He just EMPTIED both of my breasts just now, which is incredible considering how much milk I have. I can see him growing... I think he gets growing pains, because every couple of days he starts crying for no reason and won't stop until I put him in a babywearing device. I think the position of being upright with his knees up feels good. When he wakes up, he fusses until i put him on the bed and he can stretch out... and I swear you can see his limbs getting longer as he stretches.

I'm wearing him right now in my new cotton gauze wrap…. it's a Wrapsody Bali Breeze. I like it a lot, the batiking is gorgeous (I thought it would be ugly, it doesn't photograph well online). It's much more breathable than the Moby, and since it's not stretchy, it feels a lot more secure. It's amazing how tight you are supposed to wear them…really, the tighter the better. I thought I had it on pretty tight right now, but I just looked in the mirror and he has shifted sideways a bit.

IMG_1825

That's his "take me out and feed me please" face.

He is five weeks old today. Feels like he was born yesterday. I keep remembering emails I have to return, from people who want to come visit him, and I think "Oh I have time…. oh wait they've been waiting for a reply for over a month!!"

IMG_1835

I remember thinking the sound of a baby crying was really abrasive and annoying... but it's different when it's your own kid. It just breaks my heart, all I want to do is figure out how to fix whatever is hurting him. I'm not saying I don't get annoyed but... it's more of a feeling of impatience with myself, like "why can't you figure this out faster??"

Ash is working on a job site with Bountiful Backyards today. Apparently, there is an intentional community in Rougemont! Who knew? My mom took Quinten out to his homeschooling classes, so it's just me and the baby at home. I wrapped him up on me and went downstairs to do some laundry… why do they make dryers so low to the ground? So old people and people holding babies can't do laundry without getting on all fours?? It took like half an hour to transfer the loads over and start a new load, since I couldn't bend over. That's why I can't wait to learn back carries… I never realized how many things I do that require bending over!

I also spilt an ENTIRE water bottle all over myself and my bed while nursing this morning… and last night as well. Is there a stainless steel water bottle in the world that doesn't leak and/or pop open at inopportune moments?? I have a feeling all of ours have had their lids mixed and matched, which is why none of them seem to stay on properly. Because it's not like they are Wal Mart pieces of junk or something.

3 comments:

  1. I hated doing laundry when Milo was still in front carries. I'd have to squat to take all the dry clothes out! The upside is that I kind of got in the habit of squatting then even when I'm not wearing him and I have really strong legs now!

    And that wrap is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't take this the wrong way, but you look prettier now than you did before!

    ReplyDelete