Friday, December 17, 2010

TTC and TTC

It's December and we have been officially trying to conceive for 32 days. Took a pregnancy test a few days ago because my temperature went up and stayed up! But it was negative. Still no Aunt Flo, sill the elevated temperature, so I guess I could have taken the test too early (the test was also a couple years old so that may have been a factor too). The instructions say wait 7 days before taking another test. The waiting game it is then.

I have been trying to hold out on any baby prep until I'm actually pregnant. But when I was in Amsterdam I was buying a present for a pregnant friend and I saw these PERFECT little leather booties (used of course). So I bought them (only 8 euro!!).

little booties

And recently I bought some crafting supplies and tried making a stuffed animal for the first time:

Photo 590

Photo 593

BUT I SWEAR THAT'S THE LAST BABY STUFF I WILL DO. The wool is 100% natural wool... but the felt is not, which made me feel pretty guilty. I am going to look at Joann's craft store next week to see if I can find some 100% recycled felt (100% wool felt is too expensive, until I have my own sheep).

I'm trying to conceptualize what I want our family's home to look like. In my head it has always been Bag End, Bilbo Baggins' home in "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings". Due to our lack of experience building things that don't fall down... we may be going with the yurt option and building add-ons (wood burning stove, greenhouse, deck). There is a group of people around here who know what they are doing (Carolina Cob) but I'm afraid to ask what they charge. A yurt will probably cost $10,000 total, including a bunch of add-ons but not all of the add-ons.... a lot less than rent and mortgage for the rest of your life!!
I have been collecting pictures of sustainable homes off of the internet for inspiration.

John_HoweA_Hobbits_Dwelling

sustainable-hobbit-house1

This is a picture of how a girl built a rocket stove into the floor of her yurt!! Very cool.

5089416805_6d9071f88b

5133608314_3bfc9f318f

Then they did something REALLY cool... they wrapped piping around the heater and ran water through it. INSTANT HOT BATH!

5176935823_5e32ece18a

My parent's roof is so huge, it could capture a LOT of water. There is already one rain barrel in place and it is always full all the time. One of the chickens tried to roost on it so I'm afraid there might be some chicken poop in there... sill chickens.

THE FUTURE IS EXCITING. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. The best prep for collapse is OPTIMISM!

No comments:

Post a Comment