Friday, February 4, 2011

We went to Best Buy today... luckily Ash had the foresight to buy a $44 two-year warranty for our $250 camera, because they just replaced it with a new one when the old one started acting funny (sometimes it wouldn't turn on!). But get this... we had to purchase a NEW warranty for the new camera. Our warranty was "used up" by the replacement camera. Cheapos! Oh well, we still come out on top, I basically paid $44 for a brand new camera today.

I had heard the name Paul Wheaton before, in relation to permaculture, but I just found his website and his youtube channel and there are some COOl videos on there. Seeing all those cute little chickens attacking the slug makes me really excited about getting new chickens in the spring. They make such sweet pets. I don't think I would ever be able to eat a chicken I raised, even though I know it would taste BEYOND DELICIOUS. Well, maybe if Ash killed it I would eat it.... but I couldn't know which one it was.

Speaking of chicken...I have been having a chicken aversion. This is no good in our house, where my mom makes chicken probably 3 times per week. All I want to eat is CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE!! Not just any cheese, but the stinkiest, sharpest, goatiest cheese I can find. My mom got me some goat gouda today from Whole Foods, can't wait to try it. I wonder how hard it is to make gouda? It has such a rich, smokey flavor, it can't be easy. In other pregnancy news, I can't get my back to stop hurting. I know yoga would helps tons, but I haven't recovered 100% yet, so any exercise does not sound like a good idea. I tried to take a walk on Wednesday and it ended in a coughing fit (which also probably contributed to my back pain).

The kid I am babysitting tonight has a serious ego problem. He expects everyone to bend over backwards to make sure he is 100% satisfied. Sometimes it's about little stupid things that don't matter, but usually it involves taking advantage of his little brother. Everything is a power game to him. I can't talk to his parents about it though, because they get it from him, and no parent wants to hear that from their babysitter. The behavior tones down after a while of me being here, because I don't tolerate it and I don't model it. But I'm only here once a week so every week I have to restart the process. This pregnancy has perfect timing, really, by the time I am huge I will have a reason to quit before they drive me 100% insane.

REALLY COOL STUFF. This furniture company has the MOST functional space-saving furniture I have ever seen. The coolest part is that, for example, if you have a shelf that folds out into a bed you don't have to take anything off of the shelf! Otherwise it woudl kind of suck, you could never use the bed on a daily basis. This is exactly the kind of furniture Ash and I need, since we plan on building a home that has 2 rooms (maybe 2.5 including a loft space) and need all the space-saving we can get.

7 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure it's way too expensive, I went to their website and you have to "request a quote" if you want to know how much it is. But it gives me great ideas for building my own furniture like that. Not that I possess the engineering skills to duplicate it, but it's still good inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that this furniture would be astronomically high, price-wise. You could always try and draw up a few proto-types. I don't think that could hurt! Although, it might be hard to create it off of the paper...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that really gentle yoga is exercise that I can do without coughing when my lungs are really bad. Just be careful of the positions, and go very slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I just really want to skip to the part where I am going to a prenatal class every week and I am back to the level I was at before :( Really, the only thing stopping me from doing gentle stuff at home is laziness. Oh, and the fear that I will do poses that are bad for the baby, or I will do good poses incorrectly with my new body and hurt myself. I'm going to go on a walk right now and see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, this seems like a "no-duh" thing, but two things I find helpful when I am trying to exercise and coughing a lot - first, I pay a lot of attention to my breathing. I can usually find a point in the breath cycle that "triggers" my cough, so I try to avoid that. Also, slow breathing helps. And the biggest no-duh... walk slowly. It's not great exercise, but it's better than nothing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I walked slowly and I didn't walk very far. It is CERTAINLY better than nothing. And if I'm doing yoga correctly, it should be ALL about the breathing!

    ReplyDelete