Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Good (expensive) news from the dentist.

Ash went to the dentist this morning... for the first time in several years! He hasn't had health insurance for years (and still does not), but his mom gave him $150 to go get a cleaning. Thanks mom!! The dentist said he has AWESOME teeth.... but some areas of his gums are so bad that if he doesn't do anything about it, he will have to have surgery in the near future. So the good news is, they can do one procedure and clean all the gunk out of his gums, and all he has to do is floss for the rest of his life and he will never need another dentist!! The bad news is... this procedure costs $1,000.

Of course, when choosing between $1,000 for the rest of your life or ignoring the problem and having a much more expensive surgery later... it is clear what we have to do. BUT OH MY GOSH WHAT A HUGE CHUNK OF CASH. Not something you want to spend right before you are expecting a child. Especially because Ash is unemployed still (we are waiting to hear back on a couple of leads for farm work, and exploring possibilities for music gigs with local bands).

I am ten weeks this week! I worked aaaaaalll day long today and it was EXHAUSTING, even though the little 4 month old was pretty good and happy for me. Everything but eggs, toast, and cheese makes me gag. So that's pretty annoying. My mom wants me to start taking a picture every week of my profile, but all i can see is bloating and I really don't want to take pictures of my distended bowels :)

Homeschooling my brother, day three, still going well. He is a very smart kid, it's obvious he just stopped caring while in public school. I don't think we are making him too miserable, he is extremely social and would love to go back to public school when he can, but he knows that probably won't happen until 11th grade.

My parents offered to let us work off some of our Europe trip debt through this homeschooling thing... I have to say, I appreciate the offer, the homeschooling takes up more time and effort than I thought it would. And now with this dental work in the future, it will be good to shave off some of that $2,500 (which, by the way, was totally worth it because it is probably the last traveling we will do until our kids are grown!!).

9 comments:

  1. Do you want to homeschool your little one? This would be some darn good practice i guess. Thank God that was the news at the dentist. It'll be worth it in the end.
    I wouldnt mind some photos Geni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we are definitely planning on homeschooling. There aren't really any good schools around here... I guess my kids can try it out if they want to, but around here, the only kids who really enjoyed public school after homeschooling were the ones who went to alternative private schools (like Carolina Friends School, Montessori, or Emerson Waldorf schools).

    How Quinten is being homeschooled isn't anything like how I was homeschooled.... my sister and I were completely independent, my mom didn't have to teach us anything, whereas Quinten is needing a lot more hands-on guidance and engaging. So I'm hoping that if I encourage self-teaching with my own kids, homeschooling them won't be so much work (especially as they get older)! But who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I totally understand! We recently had to get Mahon a really expensive top retainer (he kept grinding through his) AND replace veneers on several of his teeth. It was all mostly unexpected! Luckily, our tax return will pay for it (and his genetic testing)! Hooray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope our kids get HIS teeth!! I would be dead by now or tens of thousands of dollars in debt if it hadn't been for my dental insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After the 12th week or so, your uterus will start to rise out of your pelvic bones and your belly will start being less about bloat and more about BABY! That would probably be the best time to start taking belly pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha!Ha! Revisionist history regarding Quinten and school. His lack of effort predates his brief stint at Voyager. Much more fun to blame the system, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quinten consistently hasn't put in effort at any point in his life when his intelligence wasn't respected. This includes the period when both he and Jonathon were doing an online homeschooling program. Jonathon wasn't inspired by it either, but is now doing very well at Middle College, since it's actually engaging and challenging for him. Same with Quinten now that he is at home (but sans online curriculum). So no, I'm not blaming it on "the system", just any system that doesn't work well for him.

    Who are you, Rehder?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I think Rehder was trying to say is that Quinten has not tried or had any interest in school for some time now, and that it really doesn't have much to do with Voyager. He consistently has shown little interest in school, even in Miss Kristy's english classes. It's nice to know that he's getting interested in learning again, and that he's not too miserable at home! I understand how he felt, I was miserable at home, because I was so social as well!

    oh, and Rehder is my mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I KNEW THAT WAS YOUR MOM!!! It sounded just like her. But I thought since it said "Rehder" that maybe Anna had grown up to talk just like her, haha.

    Quinten is not only reading "Slaughterhouse Five", but is understanding it and enjoying it. That's quite a turn around from thinking books are like the plague! I think the last thing he read was the "Redwall" series....

    ReplyDelete