Friday, October 28, 2011

11 weeks

So many changes this week... he now laughs directly after we interact with him, rather than there being a 15 second delay. I can also lay him down on the floor or elsewhere and he will be happy for several minutes (WOOHOO). Yesterday, I was talking to him on the floor and my mom walked in the room... he turned his head to see who had come in. He had never done anything like that! It also looks like he can move his hands with slightly more intention... he has tried to rub his eyes a few times. His cradle cap is finally flaking off. Last night he slept TWO 4 hour stretches (I think?? I was too tired to pay much attention) but I don't fell well rested because he still woke me up often with his squirmy fussing (FAKE hunger signs?? grrr).

In the spirit of the fact that NO ONE sees enough breastfeeding, here is a video of Luca comfort sucking while he sleeps. Comfort sucking is different than hunger sucking... I should take a video of him hunger sucking for contrast. When they drink because they are hungry, the gulps are bigger and faster, there are no long breaks (their eyes may or may not be open), and the pauses in between sucks happen while the mouth is open (which is when they swallow). After 15-20 minutes of sucking, their brain releases a hormone (CCK) that tells them to go to sleep. This is one reason why pacifiers interfere with breastfeeding... they trick the baby's brain into thinking he's already full and it's time to go to bed. You can see from the force of his suck why it HURTS SO BAD in the beginning!

The second 30 seconds of the video is him being cute in his wool suit. I am really obsessed with wool lately. I really want to get some sheep and a spinning wheel and a loom and just become a little old lady who makes stuff.



Elimination Communication is going well... it's still only part time, but the day before yesterday I only used like 2 diapers all day long! My record is one diaper.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate when people share nursing videos/photos or when I see women nursing in public who AREN'T covered up. I always view it as a potential learning experience for anyone who sees it. And lol, is that Ash singing "Savoy Truffle" in the background?

    Man, Luca is just so adorable and just keeps getting more adorable and that wool suit looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had EVERYTHING going for me when it came to breastfeeding, and it was STILL very hard. So I'm glad you can appreciate what I'm trying to do!

    And yes, that was Savoy Truffle day... he kept picking up his guitar and singing it at random moments all day long. I think about half of the videos I take of Luca have him singing some Beatles song in the background!

    I'm ordering myself some wool slippers. WOOL EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete