Thursday, August 4, 2011

Detox

Ash and I have been seriously curbing our TV/media consumption for the past 8 months in anticipation of our son's arrival. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes... for example, there is no way I can be in the room when someone is watching one of those crime shows. It makes me nauseous (why do people enjoy seeing others in extreme amounts of pain and suffering??). The evening news seems like some sort of strange play. I just tried to watch a clip from "Bunny of Seville", the Bugs Bunny cartoon, and it moved so fast I had to turn it off (hooray return of a normal attention span!). It feels very similar to how I feel now that I have cut all processed sugar out of my diet... if I sneak a little in there, WHAM instant headache of DEATH! It will be very easy for us personally to keep sugar out of his tiny precious body (convincing the grandparents is another story!), and it looks like TV won't be a temptation either. Niether of us can drink coffee anymore without feeling terrible (which is a little sad, because it still SMELLS so good!).

I still have facebook open in another tab right now, and every time I type a sentence here, I browse while I think of what to say next. I hate it! But I can't seems to justify getting rid of computer the same way I can justify getting rid of TV. I have three tabs open on ECing, five tabs open on natural building techniques, one open on a sewing project, this tab, and one on facebook. Obviously way too much activity for my personal goal of having a CALM PRESENCE, but also way too much learning/information sharing to give up. Ultimately, the internet is a positive presence in my life, I just have to figure out how to keep in under control.

Ash has been meditating daily and I have my daily Hypnobabies... we can feel ourselves becoming more calm and centered, and it feels good! It always feels good to accomplish personal goals.

I have a teeny sore throat. I think it's just from the air conditioner. Boy I can't wait until we build our own house, so we can never suffer through the agony of central heat/air ever again!! Better go read those tabs I have open on passive solar heating and cooling...

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree about TV!!! I have never been a big tv show watcher, and have NEVER been able to stomach either news, crime shows, or cartoons - basically for the reasons you mention.

    ReplyDelete