Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Nesting

I decided to take a couple pictures of what our room and the converted dining room are looking like, as we try and get things together for when he gets here. Our room is the baby's room, and our bed is the baby's bed, so you can barely even tell by looking around that we are expecting anything! Well, at least compared to some peoples amount of prep (like a whole nursery fully designed and coordinated and all that). Everything is technically ready, it's just not aesthetically ready.

The bed has a guard rail up (found in perfectly new condition for $12 at at thrift store)... it's SO STURDY it could keep a full grown man from falling out of the bed. It clamps on with big plastic jaws. They have really improved the design of those things since I was a baby. The nightstand is loaded up with vitamins, herbs, baby potties (yogurt containers), cloth diapers and cover, wipes, onsies, homemade wipe wash, bac-out, radio with hypnobabies CDs in it, etc. It looks like a wreck, but how else are you supposed to have all of that stuff on hand in the middle of the night?? I wish I had a small bookcase next to the bed, then things could at least look nice while being nearby. Ultimately, the mattress will be directly on the floor without the boxspring to make it extra safe, but right now it's perfect for my large pregnant butt to get in and out of at that height (boy is it HARD getting in and out of bed!!).

IMG_1524

The bird mobile has been hung on the fan in the center of the room. It spins as the fan spins. Yes, the cat as jumped up and pulled it down more than once.

IMG_1525

I brought the sewing machine and basic supplies up here so I can make repairs to things more easily. The closet doors are missing so we're thinking of hanging a curtain or something to make it look less cluttery. The closet is actually super organized, it just doesn't look like it. That's my birth ball! Last night I had to get up and sit on it for five minutes (I almost fell asleep on it) so I could bounce him down lower off of my liver... the pain was too great to sleep through otherwise. All my birthing stuff, the hospital bag, and all my hypnobabies materials are all out in plain sight and easily accessed.

The bathroom is all organized as well... I have all my postpartum stuff ready, and I have stacked toilet paper a mile high so we don't run out. I have gotten rid of pretty much all the toxic stuff, or stored it away (since this isn't our permanent home, it will have to go back to being a guest room next year). My goal is to only have personal products and cleaning products around that are also 100% edible. So far so good... except for one California Baby tube of diaper rash cream I bought just in case (though he shouldn't need it, being an EC baby).

37 weeks

The dining room is the designated TV-FREE zone for downstairs. I've got a changing table, rocking chair, and a fold-out mattress for the floor. I've hung up the map of Chareslton, a map of Italy I found in the attic, and several old pictures of family members. I'm hoping to get up one picture of me as a baby (seen on the rocking chair), and one picture of Ash as a baby. The big red painting is a work of art our friend Justin made for our wedding, it's going up somewhere. There is a Dockstreet poster hanging by the changing table, and you can see our super awesome car seat on the floor (but it's covered in trash bags to keep the cats from peeing on it. Alyssa brought us all those colorful cardboard animals as a gift... they are really pretty but I wish I had some shelves to put them on!

IMG_1531
IMG_1533
IMG_1532

Such a big part of nesting is just knowing where everything is. My mind is super good at organizing all of a sudden... I will have a thought randomly like "Hey I can't remember where I put ___", and I will go find it and find a new home for it... and that item will keep getting a new home until my brain can easily remember where it is at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment