Saturday, November 5, 2011

A day out

As the Charleston trip draws nearer, I keep looking for signs in his development that make it seem like it won't be a miserable failure. He has slept 5-6 hours a a time every other night this week. So that's amazing. But in the car... he almost made it all the way to Siler City today without crying (1 hour and 15 minutes). Actually, he would have made it all the way if Ash hadn't gotten pulled over for speeding (one of those things where you're on a highway and everyone is going 70 mph, and then suddenly it's not a highway and the speed limit drops to 55mph...but you're still going 76 mph. Oops.). He had a lovely day at Circle Acres, visiting his baby friend Leo. It was cold, but he seemed to love it. He cracked up every time the wind blew. We learned about making cob ovens, cover crops, and starting fire with friction. But on the way home, he started crying and we had to stop for a while to try and figure out what he wanted (he ended up nursing and screaming for like 20 minutes, I'm guessing because he hasn't pooped in 3 days again, and his tummy is uncomfortable).

So unless he suddenly matures and stops being such a silly pooper, I really don't want to attempt a road trip. But Ash really doesn't want to leave Luca for a week. And not only would I miss Ash terribly, but no one would be here to cook me healthy meals!!

I'm really confused at this point why people ever have more than one kid.

Either:
1) Most people must have easier babies
2) Most people can handle sleep deprivation better than me
3) Most people enjoy the non-newborn periods so much, that this is worth it (likely I will fall into this category)
OR,
4) People just forget how miserable this is??

I love him more than anything, but I feel terrible all the time and can't wait until he grows up a bit. I really want more than one child, but I'm not sure how many newborn periods I can survive with my sanity intact.

Here's a picture from our date at Rue Cler, where he did surprisingly well (fell asleep right as we got there, ran out of patience as we were finishing dessert).
baby and beignets

Here's him with his baby friend, Leo!
luca and leo2

luca and leo4

2 comments:

  1. I could never understand why anyone would want more than one kid either. Then I had second kid. It helps that my second kid has been a BREEZE compared to my first from the very start. All I can tell you is every baby is different and for the most part(at least with most of the parents I know), easy babies come after hard babies...it's like a reward for surviving the hard baby.

    ReplyDelete