Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fever finally went down, I actually SLEPT last night which was a HUGE relief. It's really hard to not sleep or eat when you are pregnant! I went to the doctor yesterday (which was like hell... really really hard to sit in that waiting room) and she recommended I get the flu shot as soon as I get better, just in case this isn't the flu or in case I get hit with another strain later. I hope the baby kept on growing that whole time I wasn't eating and I had a fever... POOR LITTLE GENE SWARM. I think it is making up for it today because BOY am I hungry.

A cousin of mine ended up in the hospital for emergency surgery this week with an ectopic pregnancy. SCARY. Especially since I had a terrible pinching pain on only my left side last Sunday, and now whenever I get what I think is gas I only feel it on my left side. Is this why people get ultrasounds so early in their pregnancies? Because I thought it was just to guess how far along the woman was (I already know the answer to that since I was TTC, so I haven't bothered with an ultrasound yet). Of course I meet zero of the criteria for a risk of an ectopic pregnancy, so I'm being silly.

I think I should go ahead and pick a backup OB, but I have NO IDEA how to go about doing that, so I was just going to wait and talk to my midwife about it at our appointment on Feb 8th. I know I have to get her to write a referral if I want to get an ultrasound, but she will do all the blood work herself.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Ash and I found another baby consignment shop on University drive, with really awesome prices and a really large selection! It's called "Baby Bear". It was the first time Ash and I had gone shopping for stuff together, so it was nice to get a feel for what kind of things he liked and what he didn't like. He doesn't like prints. ANY PRINTS. Not even cute animals prints. I couldn't even get him to go for stripes, but he did find a tie-die onsie he really liked (see picture). The rest of the ones he picked out were plain, brightly colored onsies. There was also a full set he wanted but it was for about an 18 month old (sweater vest with button up and khaki shorts) so we didn't get it. We spent about $14 and we got 8 pieces. The tie-die one was the most expensive, at $5.

Photo 617


Some of these baby things are sized by month, some by pound, some by sm/m/lrg..... how are you supposed to compare them? Holding them up to each other only works sometimes, since brands vary. How old is a baby that weighs "13-18 lbs"? How much are they assuming your baby weighs if the shirt says "3-6 months"?

5 comments:

  1. You should ask Dr. Motyka about the OB, because she is a gynecologist, so she probably refers women to OB's all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that onesie!!!!

    As for sizes - hate to say this, but in the end it all goes out the window depending on your baby's size anyway. I have a friend whose baby was in 12 month onesies at FOUR MONTHS OLD. Babies sizes are so different - I think the smartest thing is just collect a good number in different sizes and call it good! (Also, your own birth weight and Ash's birth weight can be a fairly ok indicator of how big your baby will be... though not always.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pinching pain on your left side might be corpus luteum pains. I've had them on my right side in early pregnancy in both my pregnancies. The first time around, I was sure I had an ectopic pregnancy(even though, like you I didn't have any of the risk factors) until I had an ultrasound...and found out that such a thing as corpus luteum pains exist. No one talks about it much and I had to do lots of googling to find it out.

    As for baby clothing sizes...they're crazy. I mainly try to look for things that give the length measurement since Bella always outgrows them by length first. Even if she's not in the pound range they have listed. You'll also get more of a feel for sizes after your baby is born and you can see how he/she grows in comparison to their clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin- good idea, I am going to see Dr. Motyka today, I will ask her.

    Cindy- Ash was 6 lbs and I was over 8 lbs!! I was average length and he turned out to be so tall.... so maybe our baby will be in the middle? One little onesie says "5-7 lbs newborn" and I was like uh-oh!! It better not be as big as I was.

    Melanie- so is that bad? Will an ultrasound show it if that is where the pain is coming from? It was only bad pain for about 30 seconds on Sunday and it has been very mild since then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corpus luteum pain is not bad at all. The corpus luteum is important in establishing and maintaining pregnancy in women, since it secrets progesterone. It's usually on the ovary that released the egg that was fertilized. I don't know if it will show up on an ultrasound or not, though. The pains usually go away towards the end of the first trimester when the placenta takes progesterone production over completely.

    ReplyDelete