Saturday, January 29, 2011

First ultrasound image!

I delayed posting about this until I had scanned in the photo...

9 and a half week ultrasound

At my visit to my regular GYN on Thursday, I mentioned the left side pain. She decided to go borrow her husband's little ultrasound machine to check to make sure the fetus was in my uterus (it was not the kind usually used on babies, because she couldn't do a full anatomical check or anything like that). So I got to see my baby in there!!! There is apparently only one, and his little heart is beating just fine and I even got to see that. It was going flutter flutter flutter. Holy cow, so cool, I cried on the table. Too bad Ash wasn't there to see it. The ultrasound dated my baby the same as I had, due on September 1st.

My GYN is a very cool lady, and she used to be an OB who regularly backed up home births in the area. She told me all the questions I need to ask my midwife to make sure she has good judgement, and she is sending me a list of OB's at Durham Regional who she knows provide good care. I figured I would go visit one, get an ultrasound at about 15 weeks, figure out if any of them are supportive of natural birth (that way I know who they are if I get transfered there), and they can have all of my info already on file. My GYN said she would see the home birthing mothers once per trimester, just so she was familiar with them and their pregnancy. She is also going to send me the European guidelines on home birth transfer, since Europe has a lot more home birth going on over there. She also told me not to attempt a home birth if the baby is breech, just because it is my first birth.

Yesterday I started crying because Ash said the word "pregnant" and I was like "YES I AM PREGNANT THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT". Crazy, crazy hormones!! I ate mostly veggie straws and canned pineapple all day yesterday, the thought of any other kind of food made me literally gag. I sat on the couch all day, blowing my nose over and over and over... if I had a quarter for every time, I'd be a millionaire by now. The humidifier is helping, but I can't take any expectorant because it is a class C drug and has been linked to birth defects!! So I will just have to get it out the old fashioned way (coughing up a lung).

No comments:

Post a Comment